Introduction to MasterPass
These are the 4 steps to buy a product with MasterPass on the Swedish market
- Consumers choose their products, and then choose to pay with MasterPass.
- Mobile BankID automatically opens and identification is done with pin code.
- After identification MasterPass opens, and here default card and delivery address is already stored and you can also choose a different card and change the address.
- After selecting the card and address the consumer is sent back to the webshop where the purchase is confirmed, and the transaction is done. When purchasing via the desktop computer, the consumer starts mobile BankID on their cell phone.
Technical payment flow
- Consumer clicks on ”Buy with MasterPass” in the webshop
- Webshop calls mpInit in order to initiate the MasterPass wallet flow.
- DIBS calls MasterPass in order to retrive a redirectUrl
- MasterPass provides the redirectUrl to DIBS, which is sent to the webshop in the mpInit response
- The Webshop uses the url to redirect the consumer to the MasterPass website.
- The consumer selects the preferred wallet at MasterPass, is authenticated via BankID/3DSecure.
- The consumer is redirected back to the webshop, which receives the response including MasterPass parameters for the mpValidate request.
- The webshop initiates an mpValidate request towards DIBS.
- DIBS calls MasterPass to validate the consumers action at MasterPass
- MasterPass is handling the validate request.
- DIBS receives credit card info, shipping info and, if applicable, 3DSecure info.
- The webshop calls mpAuthorize in order to authorize the payment.
- DIBS initiates an authorization request towards the acquirer.
- The webshop receives the result of the authorization
- and present the payment result to the consumer.
After the authorization is completed, the payment can be handled as an “ordinary” card payment. You need to do a Settle request to capture the authorized amount.
MasterPass follows a different payment flow than normal card payments, and below is a description of the various Web Service methods which should be used.
In order to initiate the flow for MasterPass the mpInit service must be called. On success the service returns a redirectUrl, which is used by merchant to direct user to the MasterPass site, where user has to choose his card and shipping address and confirm payment information. The service also returns a verifyId which is used in the additional webservice calls.
The mpValidate service is called by the merchant when the consumer returns from the MP site. It verifies the consumer’s request and fetches the card data for the consumer’s chosen payment method. In some cases it also retrieves the shipping address.
The mpAuthorize service is then used to perform a normal Authorization using information returned by the mpValidate service. The response is the same as a normal authorize response.
JOIN THE BETA!
Sign up to join the beta and get started for free.
Best Practice Masterpass
Shipping fee & giftcards
Consumer should have the opportunity to review the order on the merchant site before finalizing the purchase and payment. The final step should not occur inside the MasterPass Wallet.
This type of confirmation page is also useful, for example, if pricing will change due to the selected shipping address inside the MasterPass Wallet. But as stated in the section ‘Shipping fee & gift cards’ – merchant can estimate the shipping cost based on Zip-code or county code before the consumer is entering the MasterPass Wallet.